I found the original recipe for our Cayenne Cacao Maca Butter in a handout for a Christmas Season Workshop in 2010 I hosted. I have awesome memories from my workshops of a kitchen full of 'Raw Foodie Enthusiasts' sprouting, blending, tasting, testing, and eating!
This recipe has been a winner in our fridge for 10 years!
Many ‘Raw Food’ skeptics were converted to a more plant-based diet after tasting our delicious and highly nutritious meals and snacks…including our Cayenne Cacoa Maca Butter! We enjoy it on its’ own or spread on an Okanagan Rawsome Orange-Sesame Apple Crisp!
AFKE'S CAYENNE CACAO MACA BUTTER
Preparation time: 20 min.
Yields: 20 x 1" diam. balls or squares
1 cup raw cacao nibs
1 3/4 cup cashews
1 vanilla bean, seeds only
2 tbsp. lucuma powder (opt.) **
1 – 2 tablespoon maca powder *
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons coconut oil – melted
1. Process the cacao nibs in a blender at high speed for about 30 seconds. Transfer the ground nibs into the food processor.
2. Add the vanilla bean (or vanilla extract) and cashews and process until fairly fine.
3. Add the lucuma powder, maca powder, and salt and process for a few seconds.
4. Add the maple syrup and coconut oil and blend until the dough is smooth.
5. Refrigerate the dough for one hour or until it is firm enough to be handled and rolled into 1” diameter balls or simply use it as a spread.
6. Decorate these yummy treats with your choice of dried mango slices or a chunk of raw dark chocolate.
* Maca powder added to smoothies and desserts is a high energy performer and may help to balance hormones.
** Lucuma powder is a great sweetener to use in raw snack recipes. I often use dates if I don't have Lucuma powder on hand simply because we have so much of it in our Rawsome kitchen.